Prof. Francesco Musco
Francesco Musco (1973), architect and urban planner, PhD in Analysis and Governance of Sustainable Development (Ca’ Foscari, Venice), Associate Professor (since 2014) and before Assistant Professor - Researcher (2010-2014) in Urban and Environmental Planning at the Department of Design and Planning in Complex Environments, University Iuav of Venice. Currently teaches “Environmental Planning”, “Cities and Climate Change: methods, policies and tools” and “Sustainable territorial design”, “Maritime Spatial Planning”.
Rector’s Delegate for Research Activities at Iuav, Director of Master in Planning and policies for the City, Environment and Landscape (http://ppcel.org) and member of the PhD program in “Planning and public policies for the territory”. He is charted urban planner member of the architects, planners and landscapers board of Venice.
From 2013 Dean of the EU Erasmus Mundus Master on MSP Maritime Spatial Planning, in collaboration with University of the Azores, University of Seville, Unesco (IOC), Corila (www.seaplanning.eu).
Francesco has also taught as external professor at the University of Parma (“Urban Policies” at the Faculty of Economics), Bologna (“Environmental Ethics” at the Faculty of Engineer), University of Reading (“Italian Planning System” at the Department of Real Estate and Planning), Barcelona (“Urban regeneration Lab” at the Department of Geography of UAB).
Supporter of a multidisciplinary approach to city and environmental planning, during the last years he finalized his research activity to the relationship between planning and sustainability, with particular attention to the implementation of bottom-up public policies to define "climate-proof planning" in local contexts.
He is responsible of international agreements of scientific collaboration with Drexel University (Philadelphia, US), John Hopkins University (Baltimore, US), University of Reading (UK), University of Seville (ES), Future University (Khartum, Sudan).
Francesco collaborates with several public and private bodies to define environmental (including energy&climate) and local develoment policies.
Coordinator of several EU granted projects on climate adaptation and sustainability, among these:
- Life + URBAN PROOF Climate Proofing Urban Municipalities (CCA/CY/000086) (2016-2020)
- Life + 15 MASTER ADAPT_MAinSTreaming Experiences at Regional and local level for adaptation to climate change (2016-2019);
- MED CO-EVOLVE Promoting the co-evolution of human activities and natural systems for the development of sustainable coastal and maritime tourism (2016-2019);
- SUPREME EASME Project on Maritime Spatial Planning (MSP) EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (2016-2018);
- SIMWESTMED EASME Project on Maritime Spatial Planning (MSP) WESTERN MEDITERRANEAN (2016-2018);
- DG MARE 2012/25 ADRI-PLAN Adriatic Ionian Maritime Spatial Planning (2013-2015);
- SEE “TERRE Territory, Energy & Employment” (2012-2014);
- UHI Development and application of mitigation and adaptation strategies and measures for counteracting the global Urban Heat Islands phenomenon in climate change scenario”(Central Europe Program) (2011-2014);
- UNDP United Nation Development Program/ART Program (2012-2015) – “Sustainable
development and new asset of territorial planning in the wetland area Humedal de Mantequilla” (Ecuador)
- “NATREG Development and Planning with Nature” (CODE 20090415_SEE) (2010-2011)
Among his recent publication:
van Staden M., Musco F. (2010), Local Government and Climate Change, Springer, New York;
Musco F. (2016), Counteracting Urban Heat Island Effects in a Global Climate Change Scenario, Springer, New York.