AESOP 2021 Online Conference - Adapting Planning: Rethinking planning practices - 12-14 July 2021
Published at: 8 June 2021
ADAPTING PLANNING: Rethinking planning practices
For the conference website please click here
AESOP in partnership with the Faculty of Architecture, Gdańsk University of Technology, Poland, has the pleasure to invite you to the AESOP ONLINE SMALL FORMAT CONFERENCE, which will be held online only in-between July 12th and 14th, 2021. The conference theme is “Adapting Planning: Rethinking planning practices”.
The main purpose of the event is to discuss issues in the transformation of planning practices responding to contemporary social and economic challenges, influencing also urban governance models. The scope of issues discussed will include; adaptation and evolution of planning practices from different geographical perspectives (global versus local); types of planning approaches (based on legislation and regulations versus created “ad hoc” initiatives addressing local needs and challenges); issues in governance (top-down versus inclusive, bottom-up approaches) and scope of planning interventions (comprehensive approaches versus design-based solutions). The conference program will include keynote presentations, paper sessions, and roundtables, focused on different issues within the scope of the conference topic. A special role will be reserved for AESOP Young Academics who will be invited to curate some of the sessions. The conference program will be complemented by a virtual tour of the City of Gdansk as well as presentations of key upcoming development projects.
Please refer to the conference website for more information
Announcement of the final conference program: 5 July 2021.
Conference dates: 12-14 July 2021.
Tentative Conference Program
Day 1 – July 12th, 2021:
1. Introductory session: Panel on the Future of Planning involving perspectives of the younger generation – 90 mins
2. Keynote speaker 1: Future Planning – interactions between design, regulation and socio-economic approaches – 30 mins
3. Adaptive planning – global outlook – paper session – 90 mins
4. Adaptation of planning practices to contemporary urban regeneration challenges – a roundtable – 90 mins
Day 2 – July 13th, 2021:
1. Soft planning – issues and challenges – a roundtable – 90 mins
2. Keynote speaker 2: Planning practices in the global-south context – 30 mins
3. Soft planning – innovative practices – paper session – 90 mins
4. Unlocking planning practices – a roundtable – 90 mins
Day 3 – July 14th, 2021:
1. Urban design – new challenges – a roundtable – 90 mins
2. Keynote speaker 3: Design practices confronted with contemporary challenges – 30 mins
3. New design practices – paper session – 90 mins
4. Final debate: Former and Future AESOP Presidents – 90 mins.
In addition to the regular progam, a virtual tour of the City of Gdansk will be offered.
Contact details and conference website
In case of any further questions, please contact the head of the Local Organizing Committee, Prof. Piotr Lorens (firstname.lastname@example.org). You may also contact the conference secretariat, managed by Mr Robert Orlik (email@example.com).
All conference-related issues will be posted on the conference website, which will be hosted by the Gdańsk University of Technology: https://arch.pg.edu.pl/aesop2021