AESOP's was founded in 1987 and has been registered as a non-profit association under Belgian law since May 1992.
The formal charter establishing AESOP was signed in Dortmund, Germany in 1987 and has the following objectives:
- to represent the interest of planning schools in Europe in national and international administrations and organisations, particularly within Europe
- to promote the development of teaching and research in the field of planning
- to facilitate co-operation and exchange between planning schools in Europe, and to encourage the harmonisation and equivalence of their degrees
- to articulate a European dimension within planning education as part of the process of institutional co-operation and integration within Europe, bearing in mind also the prospect of increasing professional mobility within Europe
- to foster and enrich higher education in planning across Europe by mutual support, including facilitating dialogue, exchange visits and the spread of information
- to defend the cause of expanding and enhancing higher education in planning and
- to promote a progressive approach to planning education in schools of planning by experts with a rounded view against rival claims from older-established academic units and from other disciplines and professions
New AESOP Charter was accepted by AESOP Council of Representatives on 5th May 2012 in Oslo.
This Charter version was updated in accordance to the Belgian law on 20th December 2017.