The main intention of the urban design group is to develop a better understanding of status of urban design within planning education across Europe, and of its relationship to both the professional disciplines of planning and architecture.
The proposed topics of the urban design theme would include:
- Urban Design and Planning
- The university as an academic and intellectual milieu and its perspective on design as a 'craft oriented' discipline
- the role of urban design as a researched topic and as a tool of research
- the comparative status of urban design in the practice of planning, and how well universities equip students as professionals for this task
- The cultural specificity of urban design as an expression of particular national or regional identities, both in terms of the formand meaning of public space that it advocates, and in the institutional frameworks within which it operates and is implemented
- The question of the limits to harmonisation within a more unified Europe of urban design at the heart of the spatial turn in planning.